Looking to maintain and build your customer base online? Then regular contact through emailed newsletters is probably something you’re planning to do. Rather than using WordPress’s built-in options for adding subscribers and creating newsletters, I’d recommend using an email marketing service, like MailChimp, for these reasons:
- Liability – Canada’s anti-spam laws got a lot more strict in the last year or two. It is not enough to let your readers know you’ll unsubscribe them from your newsletters if they send you a note. In your emailed newsletter, you must now legally provide a clear option for subscribers to unsubscribe, change their email preferences, etc. Why go to the trouble of doing all this yourself? Using a reputable email newsletter service takes the worry of a law suit away from your small business. MailChimp would now carry that burden. But they follow the law to the letter.
- Customize your newsletters – MailChimp is very user friendly and offers a variety of ready-to-use, responsive design templates that you can use to create a marketing campaign. Or, if you prefer, you can build your own template using drag-and-drop boxes. MailChimp makes this very simple to do.
- Testing – MailChimp also allows you to send text emails to yourself, or anyone else you like, before going ‘live’ to all your subscribers. Also, MailChimp is set up to create your campaign step by step, so there’s little chance you’ll accidentally hit the ‘send’ button.
- Customize your notes to clients – You can customize your pages for ‘thank you’ and ‘confirmation’, etc., and any other pages needed to communicate with your customers.
- Multiple email newsletter campaigns – You can create a variety of email campaigns, organize subscriber lists, and track how well your campaigns are going.
- Free MailChimp plugin for your WordPress site – MailChimp has created its own plugin, free to us, and it’s very straight forward to install. Once added as a widget to your site, readers can sign up for your newsletters with the click of a button.
- Price – It’s free for up to 2000 subscribers! Go here to sign up for free.
- Google Analytics and SEO integration – with the click of a button, you can check Google Analytics and SEO for your campaign. You’ll see the number of visits, conversions and sales your campaign generated.